With a new movie in the franchise being released every single year, it’s a good time to be a Star Wars fan. The latest installment in the galactic epic was Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which introduced us to many fascinating characters as the first anthology spinoff. Unfortunately, only so many characters can properly be developed in a two-hour movie which leaves us wanting more from some of the other characters.
Rogue One director Gareth Edwards took to Reddit to answer some fan questions and in the process revealed two duos he would most like to see return to the big screen in their very own spinoff movies. Who were they? And what other dynamic pairings deserve their own spinoffs?
4. Saw Gerrera And Young Jyn Erso
Saw Gerrera had one of the smallest but most pivotal roles in Rogue One. He was responsible for Jyn Erso’s early survival and teaching her the skills necessary to make her the total badass she is.
Saw has been explored pretty thoroughly in the Clone Wars animated series, but he definitely deserves some more attention on the big screen, especially in the context of his involvement with Jyn’s early time with the radical rebellion. Jyn has a fascinating story explored in the book Rebel Rising that could serve as a great basis for a large screen adaptation.
- Bonus: Jyn coping with the loss of her parents could be very interesting and build upon that unique dynamic we already saw between the two characters.
3. Galen Erso And Orson Krennic
One of Gareth Edward’s suggestions for a spin-off movie was this duo. It’s rare that we see the Empire’s side of the story in the Star Wars universe, so I think a film exploring Galen Erso’s early days with the Empire (when he was a loyal scientist, as we saw in some of the flashbacks) could be very interesting.
Galen and Krennic have a complicated relationship and a whole complex backstory that would be exciting to see developed.
- Bonus: It would be really cool to see some of the failed inventions of the Empire; what other weapons were they trying to build before landing on the Death Star? Adding more science to the scifi of Star Wars could be a cool way to expand the universe even further.
2. K-2SO And Cassian Andor
K-2SO was the standout star of Rogue One; the wisecracking droid was immensely sassy and always had the best reactions to events happening around him:
K-2SO was at his best when Cassian Andor was around; the two of them played off of each other so well that an entire movie dedicated to one of their crazy adventures together would be simply amazing.
- Bonus: An interesting plot line would be how K-2SO was reprogrammed into a Rebel ally; was he as sassy and funny while he worked for the Empire? Did it take some time for his real personality to come out after being reprogrammed? Those are the kind of questions we really need answers to.
1. Baze Malbus And Chirrut Imwe
The other duo the Rogue One director suggested was the pair we’ve all been dying to see more of. Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe, the Guardians of the Whills, were fantastic characters and their backstory would fill in so many holes in our knowledge of the Star Wars universe. I would love to see a movie before the fall of the Temple of the Kyber on Jedha; some of the most burning questions fans had after seeing Rogue One regarded the fate of the Guardians and what they were like back in the day.
- Bonus: It would also be cool to see even more Guardians and see another team up story similar to the style of Rogue One.
These four duos were some of the greatest relationships of Rogue One and I would definitely enjoy seeing them developed further.
What other Rogue One characters do you think should get their own spin-off? Let me know in the comments below!